Wednesday 30 May 2012

Final Evaluation

Paul Brandreth OUGD303 Evaluation From the FMP I have gained great work for my portfolio. The briefs I have chosen were influenced from my design strategy and my statement of intent. I have tried new briefs like the D&AD annual report and ended up really enjoying it and had to change my statement of intent, because I changed my statement of intent I then decided that I should produce another annual report. This time I new the subject matter I was designing for but I also was always considering what work I wanted to produce for my portfolio and website as this is what I will take with me after I finish to show what I have achieved in the three years of study but also something to build on. I think that Graphic design is an exciting profession because you never stop learning and the subject matter is always new. For the Swatch brief I choose this to relate to the subject matter but also for the design approach, as I want my work to show that it is versatile depending on the client and the brief set. My work before Christmas was all over the place. My statement of intent was confused and this showed in my work. I have now narrowed it down by exploring subject more and more. I feel my FMP is a lot stronger than before Christmas but looking back that were crucial for me use it as a learning curve. If I didn’t use that time before Christmas to explore and find out what kind of designer I want to be I don’t think my work would have been as strong this time around. During my FMP I have spent a lot of time to get it wright and from this I feel a lot sharper – thinking wise and starting to consider and realise design aspects such as colour I can actually use well to a strength that I didn’t know I was too good at before. I have used a lot of InDesign in my FMP and I am constantly still learning new shortcuts and tips the more I use it. The two main words of advice I would use in the future with Graphics or everyday lives are, “There’s Busy & there’s productive”. I think that the way someone handles their time is important to keep a clear focus of the direction someone needs to take to achieve it within a certain timescale. The second quote is “how can someone comment on work if they can’t see it but you can talk about ideas” I learnt this the hard way before Christmas. I was the person to say an idea to see what peers thought but I understand to start briefs early and get some visuals down to discuss and get feedback as soon as possible. The pace set at this FMP has been fast and I think I have enjoyed / produced my best work because of it. Overall my three years on the course have moved fast. I have enjoyed my time here in Leeds but can’t wait to progress my practice further. I think the stage I am at can springboard me into internships and maybe into employment. The two key aspects I wanted to achieve from Leeds College of Art were to find employment and be proud of my work design approach. Even when times were tough and I wasn’t happy with what I was producing, I’ll remember it as a learning curve. For my practice now to succeed I will need to consider photo-shoots and how to present final work better as a feel this is the main area that is letting me down. For the end of year show I shall retake my products to present them to a higher professional standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment